Soon Americans returning home via land and sea from any international destination will need to show a passport or other secure travel document.

As of January 23, 2007, a new American law, the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI), requires anyone, including U.S. citizens, entering or re-entering the United States by air to have a passport or a NEXUS card when used at a NEXUS kiosk at designated airports.

By June 1, 2009 or earlier, anyone, including U.S. citizens, entering or re-entering the United States by land and sea will need to have a passport or other appropriate secure document.

At this point, only requirements for travel by air to the United States have changed. Americans can continue to use documents such as their birth certificates and government-issued photo identification (e.g. driver’s license) to cross the Canada-U.S. border by land and sea until the WHTI is fully implemented.

Visit the U.S. Department of State Web site frequently for international travel updates at U.S. Department of State - International Travel .

For detailed information about obtaining or renewing your U.S. passport, visit the U.S. Department of State, Passport Services Office, or access U.S. passport application services from the United States Postal Service.

The NEXUS program is limited to citizens of Canada and the United States, lawful permanent residents of the United States and permanent residents of Canada.  For information on how to apply visit U.S. Customs & Border Protection Website.

For detailed information on entry requirements, including medical exams, working or studying in Canada, and what you are permitted to bring into Canada, visit the Going To Canada Web site.


Helpful Links

Travel by Land and Sea
Visitors can continue to use such documents as their birth certificates and drivers' licences to cross the Canada-U.S. border by land and sea (including ferries) for at least another year... More »

Border Requirements Toolkit
Things U.S. Travellers Need to Know, U.S. Passport Application, NEXUS Application (U.S.), Canada Border Services Agency, WHTI Exemption for Children Proposed... More »

Frequently Asked Questions
What are the requirements for children entering Canada? Where can American travellers get a U.S. passport?When the new U.S. passport rules come into effect, will my children... More »

Passport Bulletin - March 2007
I am writing to update you on recent developments in Ontario's efforts to persuade the U.S. Government to allow alternative border crossing documents to passports when entering or... More »

©2006 All Rights Reserved Home Show Schedule Travel Planner Viewer Mail Contact Us Show DVD's